I've made my own challenge and met it. At the beginning of this month I said I was going to attempt to post every single day of the month (So The Story Goes...), and so I have. Will I manage to do it again? I don't know, but it was good for me.
Here is what a month of non-stop posting taught me:
- I learned that I work best when I'm challenged. Actually, I knew this, but it was good to see evidence of it. Again.
- I learned that I have things to say. Always. And sometimes people listen.
- I learned that inspiration can come from some of the most unexpected sources, and often when you least expect it.
- I learned that a month goes by unexpectedly fast. I knew they were flying by, but when I look back on the posts I put up earlier in the month I catch myself thinking, "I did that three weeks ago? Really?!" Time flies. Life is short.
- I learned that I'm really good at resenting the pressure I put upon myself. I'm fairly unforgiving when it comes to me. There were definitely a couple of days when I thought, "Who's gonna care? Who's gonna notice? I'm tired. I don't feel it today." The answer invariably came back, sounding curiously like a feisty gypsy, "I care! Buck up and get with it."
- I learned that what I've long suspected is true... I don't enjoy sitting in front of a computer. It's fun for a while, every now and then, but I don't miss spending the day that way. Not one bit.
- I learned that writing itself is one of my inspirations. That one was actually a bit of a surprise to me. Even though there were days when I'd be exhausted from writing, I still felt compelled to spend time in my studio working on "real art." My arts go hand in hand. I can't have one without the other. I think I like that. No. I like that.
- I learned that I have enough stories to draw from. Whenever I felt at a loss for what to post, I simply had to close my eyes and look through "old movies." My life has been rich, and scary, and beautiful, and sad, and lovely, and ugly, and wonderful.
- I learned that the book I started a little over a year ago is still there. Still here inside me, that is, with just a little more of it added to my collection of electrons and pixels.
- I learned that the more I write, the better I know myself. Yeah, I probably should have figured that out by now, but there it is.
My challenge to myself this for the month of August? Art Every Day. I'm going to paint or draw every day. Hopefully I'll finish a project of some kind every day. I can't wait.